Re: Update 8.2 to 8.3

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Alfred Langer" <Alfred(dot)Langer1(at)web(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Update 8.2 to 8.3
Date: 2008-02-18 21:02:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Feb 18, 2008 2:02 PM, Alfred Langer <Alfred(dot)Langer1(at)web(dot)de> wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> I'm using fedora 8 and I have problems to run 8.2 and 8.3 parallel on the
> same computer . Is it realy necessary to run pg_dumpall with 8.3.

I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure if you're asking two unrelated
questions or two questions you believe to be related.

To run 8.2 and 8.3 in parallel on fedora, you'll either need to do
source builds with different --prefix= settings, or you'll have to
compile your own rpms from sprms with aforementioned --prefix settings
in there somehow. For fedora, I prefer to build from source. it's
really easy, and it's usually on a box used for things like running >
1 of something.

./configure --prefix=/home/smarlowe/pg82
make
make install

rinse repeat.

As to the pg_dumpall, the nominally accepted way of upgrading your
cluster is to use pg_dumpall from the destination version again the
source version, where the destination pg version is > or = the source
pg version.