Re: Initdb failed in PostgreSQL 7.3.21

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Kakoli Sen" <kakolis(at)cdacb(dot)ernet(dot)in>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Initdb failed in PostgreSQL 7.3.21
Date: 2008-02-18 20:57:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On Feb 18, 2008 1:44 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "Kakoli Sen" <kakolis(at)cdacb(dot)ernet(dot)in> writes:
> > I install PostgreSQL 7.3.21 successfully with sudo and could start
> > the postmaster as sudo.
>
> What platform is that? How exactly did you install Postgres --- build
> from source, install someone's package (whose?), ...?
>
> Why are you intent on making a fresh installation of 7.3.x anyway?
> Seems like it'd be better to take the opportunity to move to a
> non-obsolete release.

Who knows? He might have a 6.5.3 server somewhere huffing away and
he's busy installing various versions as halfway points. Just a
guess. I had the same reaction as you. I certainly hope it's not
being setup for new development, but sometimes I have to blow the dust
off an old server and run old software.