Re: basic questions: Postgres with yum on CentOS 5.1

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chuck <chuckr(at)velofish(dot)com>
Cc: "Tomasz Ostrowski" <tometzky(at)batory(dot)org(dot)pl>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: basic questions: Postgres with yum on CentOS 5.1
Date: 2008-01-07 16:50:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jan 7, 2008 1:28 AM, Chuck <chuckr(at)velofish(dot)com> wrote:
> Since I had sent this email, I contacted my web host for help. They
> said that I could '-E UTF8 --no-locale' to the initdb call within
> /etc/init.db/postgresql. I stopped postgres, deleted the data
> directory and restarted postgres. My cluster was now using UTF-8:

Please note however, that individual database encoding can be set at
the time that the database is created, so you don't have to re-initdb
to do that. I.e.:

create database mydb with encoding 'UTF8';
create database yourdb with encoding 'SQLASCII';
\l
mydb | smarlowe | UTF8
yourdb | smarlowe | SQL_ASCII

The only thing you should need to reinitdb for is locale.