Re: reconfiguring diskspace while upgrading to 8.2.5

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Mark Steben" <msteben(at)autorevenue(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, rich(at)autorevenue(dot)com, "Craig Brothers" <cbrothers(at)autorevenue(dot)com>
Subject: Re: reconfiguring diskspace while upgrading to 8.2.5
Date: 2008-01-02 16:32:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Jan 2, 2008 9:04 AM, Mark Steben <msteben(at)autorevenue(dot)com> wrote:

> Postgres admin team,
>
> We are upgrading from Postgres 7.4.5 to 8.2.5 in mid January. We are also
> adding new disks
>
> As we go. I am investigating using the new tablespace facility to move our
> biggest and most accessed

I think my decision would be driven pretty strongly by what type of
RAID controller (if any) and whether it had battery backed cache
etc...

Often, with a good controller with bbu cache, you're best off putting
all your disks into one big RAID-10 and letting the RAID controller
sort it out.

For monitoring IO, use iostat and / or vmstat.