Re: ERROR: relation "xxx" already exists but where????

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joost Kraaijeveld" <J(dot)Kraaijeveld(at)askesis(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: relation "xxx" already exists but where????
Date: 2007-08-20 15:06:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On 8/20/07, Joost Kraaijeveld <J(dot)Kraaijeveld(at)askesis(dot)nl> wrote:
> I managed to drop a table without apparently droppig it's primary key
> After recreating the table I try to recreate the primary key.
>
> If I run the following:
>
> ALTER TABLE case_histories
> ADD CONSTRAINT case_histories_pkey PRIMARY KEY(case_history_id);
>
> Postgresql responds with:
>
> NOTICE: ALTER TABLE / ADD PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "case_histories_pkey" for table "case_histories"
>
> ERROR: relation "case_histories_pkey" already exists
> SQL state: 42P07
>
> The table does not have this key. Assuming that the response is correct, where can I find and/or delete this relation? I have deleted an entry inpg_constraint with that name but that did not do the trick

A couple of things.

1: Can you reproduce this, or is it a one time freak accident?
2: What does \d from psql say about this table as it is?

If \d doesn't show a primary key but you can't add one, then something
is not right, and we'll have to go snooping through the system
catalogs to figure out what's what.