Re: Listen / Notify - what to do when the queue is full

From: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Listen / Notify - what to do when the queue is full
Date: 2010-01-08 12:48:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Joachim - This no longer applies - please rebase, repost, and add a
> link to the new version to the commitfest app.

Updated patch attached.

From my point of view these are the current open questions:

- is the general approach reasonable (i.e. to put notifications into
an slru-based queue instead of into shared memory to allow for a
better handling of notification bursts)

- is the transactional behavior correct (see upthread)

- do we need to limit the payload to pure ASCII ? I think yes, we need
to. I also think we need to reject other payloads with elog(ERROR...).

- how to deal with 2PC (see upthread) ?

- how to deal with hot standby (has not been discussed yet)

Joachim

Attachment Content-Type Size
listennotify.7.diff text/x-diff 92.9 KB