Re: Nicer error when connecting to standby with hot_standby=off

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Zhang <david(dot)zhang(at)highgo(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Nicer error when connecting to standby with hot_standby=off
Date: 2021-03-05 17:36:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021/03/05 22:45, David Steele wrote:
> Hi Fujii,
>
> On 9/8/20 1:17 PM, James Coleman wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 12:25 PM Fujii Masao
>> <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Thanks for updating the patch! But it failed to be applied to the master branch
>>> cleanly because of the recent commit 0038f94387. So could you update the patch
>>> again?
>>
>> Updated patch attached.
>
> Any thoughts on the updated patch?

Thanks for the ping!

With the patch, if hot_standby is enabled, the message
"the database system is starting up" is output while the server is
in PM_RECOVERY state until it reaches the consistent recovery point.
On the other hand, if hot_standby is not enabled, the message
"the database system is up, but hot_standby is off" is output even
while the server is in that same situation. That is, opposite
messages can be output for the same situation based on the setting
of hot_standby. One message is "system is starting up", the other
is "system is up". Isn't this rather confusing?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center