psql: Rename results to result when only a single one is meant

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Subject: psql: Rename results to result when only a single one is meant
Date: 2022-01-27 11:34:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

While reviewing code related to supporting multiple result sets in psql,
it is always confusing that in psql many variables of type PGresult* are
named "results" (plural), as if there could be multiple. While it is ok
in casual talk to consider a return from a query to be a bunch of stuff,
this plural naming is inconsistent with how other code and the libpq API
uses these terms. And if we're going to get to multiple result sets
support, I think we need to be more precise throughout the code. The
attached patch renames these variables and functions to singular where
appropriate.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-psql-Rename-results-to-result-when-only-a-single-one.patch text/plain 27.9 KB