From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Önder Kalacı <onderkalaci(at)gmail(dot)com>, japin <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: row filtering for logical replication
Date: 2021-07-14 14:33:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 7/14/21 2:50 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 3:58 PM Tomas Vondra
> <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

>>> +1.

>>> Yeah, that is required but is it not feasible to do so?

>>> I am not sure if that is a very good reason to use a new tuple.
>>>

>> True. Perhaps we should look at other places with similar concept of
>> WHERE conditions and old/new rows, and try to be consistent with those?
>>
>> I can think of:
>>
>> 1) updatable views with CHECK option
>>
>> 2) row-level security
>>
>> 3) triggers
>>
>> Is there some reasonable rule which of the old/new tuples (or both) to
>> use for the WHERE condition? Or maybe it'd be handy to allow referencing
>> OLD/NEW as in triggers?
>>

> I think apart from the above, it might be good if we can find what
> some other databases does in this regard?

Yeah, that might tell us what the users would like to do with it. I did
some quick search, but haven't found much :-( The one thing I found is
that Debezium [1] allows accessing both the "old" and "new" rows through
value.before and value.after, and use both for filtering.

I haven't found much about how this works in other databases, sadly.

Perhaps the best way forward is to stick to the approach that INSERT
uses new, DELETE uses old and UPDATE works as DELETE+INSERT (probably),
and leave anything fancier (like being able to reference both versions
of the row) for a future patch.

[1]
https://wanna-joke.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/german-translation-comics-science.jpg

regards