Re: Disk and shared buffer cache use

From: "Chamara Gunaratne" <chamarag(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disk and shared buffer cache use
Date: 2007-05-10 17:54:15
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thanks guys, you comments are much appreciated. My background is
mainly in network performance evaluation and I am new to db tuning. I
will enable block level stats and get the data.

The reason I am looking for this data is that I am debugging a very
slow db server. CPU wait time % is over 50% and it is constantly
reading in MB's of data (vmstat bi column). I have shared buffers at
128MB and effective cache size at 256MB. and the db size is around
1.5GB. I am guessing that the db working set is much larger than
available cache memory.

Cheers,

-- Chamara

--