How does "createlang" interact with different schemas?

From: "P Kapat" <kap4lin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How does "createlang" interact with different schemas?
Date: 2008-12-31 20:14:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I am not sure if I should be mailing this to postgis list or this one,
but I'll shoot here first:

Setup: Postgres 8.11 on RedHat EL 5 + postgis 1.3.2

I do the following to add the postgis functionality to a database:

createlang plpgsql dbname
psql -d dbname -f /usr/share/pgsql/contrib/lwpostgis.sql
psql -d dbname -f /usr/share/pgsql/contrib/spatial_ref_sys.sql

This adds a bunch of functions and 2 tables to the public schema of
dbname. Later I add a schema to this dbname database. Will all these
postgis functions be available to the new schema? What about the 2
tables (geometry_columns and spatial_ref_sys)? How do these interact -
are they schema specific or accessible across different schemas in the
same database?

Now I'll have to admit that I do not know how postgres is setup
structurally, that is to say, what are schema, tablespace, catalogs,
domains, procedures,..... and hence the question to this list.

I have a bigger issue currently, but that will be in another mail.

--
Regards
PK