Re: ssl tunneling in postgres 8.1

From: "P Kapat" <kap4lin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ssl tunneling in postgres 8.1
Date: 2008-11-19 07:57:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 11/18/08, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Huh. It should work then ... and does work when I try it here.
> Are you sure you put the right port numbers in the SSH command
> line (eg, 5432 is really the port Postgres is listening to)?

Thanks Tom. Your patience is extremely valuable to me. I need to get
this sorted out. So...

Something ridiculous is going on here.... I have a XP machine (say
'duh', different from 'bar' but behind the same router) at home. I
installed pgadminIII (just the frontend, not with the whole postgresql
server) from here:

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/pgadmin3/release/v1.8.4/win32/

And I followed the "ssh tunneling via PuTTY" instructions from here (verbatim):

http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/index.php?/archives/38-PuTTY-for-SSH-Tunneling-to-PostgreSQL-Server.html

And voila, everything worked perfect!!! I was able to connect to the
postgres server on foo (or bar). NOTE THE PORTS:

Source port: 5432 (on foo, I guess)
Destination: localhost:5432 (on duh, same 5432!!!)

The site also notes this: "For personal desktop use, we tend to use
localhost:5432 (if you are not running a postgresql dev server
locally) or localhost:someotherunusedport (e.g. localhost:5433)"

Now, I do not understand this statement completely! If I use
"localhost:5433" in the Destination box in PuTTY, then I get the
following TCP error in pgadmin:

Server doesn't listen
The server doesn't accept connections: the connection library reports
could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is
the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting TCP/IP
connections on port 5433

Why is 5432 so sacred on the client side? For connecting from 'bar' to
'foo' (or vice versa), I can not do this, there is already a local
postgresql server running on 5432.

Help?

--
Regards