Re: Performance evaluation of PostgreSQL's historic releases

From: György Vilmos <vilmos(dot)gyorgy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amitabh Kant <amitabhkant(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance evaluation of PostgreSQL's historic releases
Date: 2009-09-30 18:12:58
Lists: pgsql-general

2009/9/29 Amitabh Kant <amitabhkant(at)gmail(dot)com>

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 1:06 PM, György Vilmos <vilmos(dot)gyorgy(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've done a benchmark of recent versions of PostgreSQL's last five major
>> releases to see, how performance has changed during the past years from
>> version to version.
>> You can find the article here:
>> http://suckit.blog.hu/2009/09/26/postgresql_history
>>
>> Thanks for working on this great piece of software!
>>
>> -- <http://suckit.blog.hu/>
>>

> Hello
>
> Thanks for the benchmark. Did you configure FreeBSD kernel parameters too,
> or used the default values?

kern.ipc.shmall=393216
kern.ipc.shmmax=1610612736
kern.ipc.semmap=256
kern.ipc.shm_use_phys=1
kern.smp.topology="8"
kern.timecounter.smp_tsc=1
kern.timecounter.hardware="TSC"

smp.topology was needed because the current kernel doesn't recognize the
correct cache topology on this machine.

--
http://suckit.blog.hu/