function returning result set of varying column

From: "maria s" <psmg01(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: function returning result set of varying column
Date: 2008-06-02 20:40:48
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi friends,
I am very new to plsql.

I have to write a function that quries few tables and returns a resultset
of varying column.

In that case I cannot predefine the table with column.
If I use RETURNS SETOF then I should know the number of columns and its
type?!

Is there anyway to return a resultset with any number of column?

Thanks for your help.

-maria