int2vector and btree indexes

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: int2vector and btree indexes
Date: 2016-10-11 06:58:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

If I create btree index on a int2vector column, it does not get used for
queries because the query search always fails to match the index operator
(family).

During index creation, GetDefaultOpClass() returns array_ops for a
int2vector index column, because type int2vector is binary-coercible with
anyarray (which is array_ops's input type). Whereas queries involving
int2vector columns would use a int2vector_ops operator.

I wonder if the index creation command should rather fail because an index
thus created will never get used? Or is_indexable_operator() should
somehow consider the fact that such indexes could in fact exist?

I might be missing something though.

Thanks,
Amit