Re: WIP: Separate log file for extension

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP: Separate log file for extension
Date: 2017-09-09 23:14:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 08/28/2017 11:23 AM, Antonin Houska wrote:
> Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> On 25 August 2017 at 15:12, Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at> wrote:
>>
>> How will this play with syslog? csvlog? etc?
>
> There's nothing special about csvlog: the LogStream structure has a
> "destination" field, so if particular extension wants this kind of output, it
> simply sets the LOG_DESTINATION_CSVLOG bit here.

I assume Craig's point was more about CSVLOG requiring log_collector=on.
So what will happen if the PostgreSQL is started without the collector,
and an extension attempts to use LOG_DESTINATION_CSVLOG? Or will it
start a separate collector for each such extension?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com