Using the return value of strlcpy() and strlcat()

From: ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker )
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using the return value of strlcpy() and strlcat()
Date: 2019-03-13 15:54:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi hackers,

Over in the "Include all columns in default names for foreign key
constraints" thread[1], I noticed the patch added the following:

+ strlcpy(buf + buflen, name, NAMEDATALEN);
+ buflen += strlen(buf + buflen);

Seeing as strlcpy() returns the copied length, this seems rather
redundant. A quick bit of grepping shows that this pattern occurs in
several places, including the ChooseIndexNameAddition and
ChooseExtendedStatisticNameAddition functions this was no doubt inspired
by.

Attached is a patch that instead uses the return value of strlcpy() and
strlcat(). I left some strlen() calls alone in places where it wasn't
convenient (e.g. pg_open_tzfile(), where it would need an extra
variable).

- ilmari

[1] https://postgr.es/m/CAF+2_SHzBU0tWKvJMZAXfcmrnCwJUeCrAohga0awDf9uDBptnw@mail.gmail.com
--
"A disappointingly low fraction of the human race is,
at any given time, on fire." - Stig Sandbeck Mathisen

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Use-the-return-value-of-strlcpy-and-strlcat.patch text/x-diff 5.8 KB