Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v9.0

From: ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org (Dagfinn Ilmari =?utf-8?Q?Manns=C3=A5ker?=)
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v9.0
Date: 2018-01-30 20:07:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Unfortunately, that has the pretty significant downside that a lot of
> people who actually want the postgresql-server-jit package will not
> realize that they need to install it, which sucks. But I think it
> might still be the better way to go. Anyway, it's for individual
> packagers to cope with that problem; as far as the patch goes, +1 for
> structuring things in a way which gives packagers the option to divide
> it up that way.

I don't know about rpm/yum/dnf, but in dpkg/apt one could declare that
postgresql-server recommends postgresql-server-jit, which installs the
package by default, but can be overridden by config or on the command
line.

- ilmari
--
"The surreality of the universe tends towards a maximum" -- Skud's Law
"Never formulate a law or axiom that you're not prepared to live with