Re: Transform for pl/perl

From: ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org (Dagfinn Ilmari =?utf-8?Q?Manns=C3=A5ker?=)
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Transform for pl/perl
Date: 2018-04-09 15:02:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org (Dagfinn Ilmari =?utf-8?Q?Manns=C3=A5ker?=) writes:
>> I tried fixing this by adding an 'if (SvUV(in))' clause to
>> SV_to_JsonbValue, but I couldn't find a function to create a numeric
>> value from an uint64. If it's not possible, should we error on UVs
>> greater than PG_INT64_MAX?
>
> I think you'd have to convert to text and back. That's kind of icky,
> but it beats failing.

I had a look, and that's what the PL/Python transform does. Attached is
a patch that does that for PL/Perl too, but only if the value is
actually > PG_INT64_MAX.

The secondary output files are for Perls with 32bit IV/UV types, but I
haven't been able to test them, since Debian's Perl uses 64bit integers
even on 32bit platforms.

> Or we could add a not-visible-to-SQL uint8-to-numeric function in
> numeric.c. Not sure if this is enough use-case to justify that
> though.

I don't think this one use-case is enough, but it's worth keeping in
mind if it keeps cropping up.

- ilmari
--
"I use RMS as a guide in the same way that a boat captain would use
a lighthouse. It's good to know where it is, but you generally

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Handle-integers-PG_INT64_MAX-in-PL-Perl-JSONB-transf.patch text/x-diff 12.6 KB