Re: [HACKERS] GSoC 2017: weekly progress reports (week 6)

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Dmitry Ivanov <d(dot)ivanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Shubham Barai <shubhambaraiss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Borodin <amborodin86(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] GSoC 2017: weekly progress reports (week 6)
Date: 2018-04-09 14:57:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Hi!

Thank you for taking a look at this patch. I really appreciate your
attention over complex subjects like this.

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 1:33 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote:

> On 28/03/18 19:53, Teodor Sigaev wrote:
>
>> As I understand, scan should lock any visited page, but now it's true
>> only for
>>
> posting tree. Seems, it also should lock pages in entry tree because
>> concurrent
>> procesess could add new entries which could be matched by partial search,
>> for
>> example. BTW, partial search (see collectMatchBitmap()) locks correctly
>> entry
>> tree, but regular startScanEntry() doesn't lock entry page in case of
>> posting
>> tree, only in case of posting list.
>>
> I think this needs some high-level comments or README to explain how the
> locking works. It seems pretty ad hoc at the moment. And incorrect.

I agree that explanation in README in insufficient.

1. Why do we lock all posting tree pages, even though they all represent
> the same value? Isn't it enough to lock the root of the posting tree?
>
> 2. Why do we lock any posting tree pages at all, if we lock the entry tree
> page anyway? Isn't the lock on the entry tree page sufficient to cover the
> key value?

I already have similar concerns in [1]. The idea of locking posting tree
leafs was to
get more granular locks. I think you've correctly describe it in the
commit message
here:

With a very large posting tree, it would
possibly be better to lock the posting tree leaf pages instead, so that a
"skip scan" with a query like "A & B", you could avoid unnecessary conflict
if a new tuple is inserted with A but !B. But let's keep this simple.

However, it's very complex and error prone. So, +1 for simplify it for v11.

> 3. Why do we *not* lock the entry leaf page, if there is no match? We
> still need a lock to remember that we probed for that value and there was
> no match, so that we conflict with a tuple that might be inserted later.

+1

At least #3 is a bug. The attached patch adds an isolation test that
> demonstrates it. #1 and #2 are weird, and cause unnecessary locking, so I
> think we should fix those too, even if they don't lead to incorrect results.
>
> Remember, the purpose of predicate locks is to lock key ranges, not
> physical pages or tuples in the index. We use leaf pages as handy shortcut
> for "any key value that would belong on this page", but it is just an
> implementation detail.
>
> I took a stab at fixing those issues, as well as the bug when fastupdate
> is turned on concurrently. Does the attached patch look sane to you?

Teodor has already answered you, and I'd like to mention that your patch
looks good for me too.

1. https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAPpHfdvED_-7KbJp-e
i4zRZu1brLgkJt4CA-uxF0iRO9WX2Sqw%40mail.gmail.com

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company