Re: proposal: psql: check env variable PSQL_PAGER

From: ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org (Dagfinn Ilmari =?utf-8?Q?Manns=C3=A5ker?=)
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: psql: check env variable PSQL_PAGER
Date: 2017-07-26 11:15:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hi
>
> I wrote a special pager for psql. Surely, this pager is not good for paging
> of man pages. So is not good to set it as global pager. We can introduce
> new env variable PSQL_PAGER for this purpose. It can work similar like
> PSQL_EDITOR variable.
>
> Notes, comments?

There's already the option to put '\setenv PAGER ...' in .psqlrc, but I
guess having it work like EDITOR makes sense for consistency, as well as
not affecting commands spawned from psql via e.g. \!.

- ilmari
--
"The surreality of the universe tends towards a maximum" -- Skud's Law
"Never formulate a law or axiom that you're not prepared to live with