Re: PostgreSQL 12 Beta 1 press release draft

From: ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker )
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 12 Beta 1 press release draft
Date: 2019-05-22 22:52:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Jonathan,

"Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:

> If you have additional feedback please provide it before 7am EDT
> tomorrow.

Thanks for writing this up. Below are some things I noticed when
reading through (disclaimer: I'm not a native speaker).

> PostgreSQL 12 extends the abilities of several of the specialized indexing
> mechanisms. The ability to create covering indexes, i.e. the `INCLUDE` clause
> that was introduced in PostgreSQL 11, havs now been added to GiST indexes.

"havs" should be "has"

> The amount of write-ahead log (WAL) overhead generated when creating a GiST,
> GIN, or SP-GiST index is also significantly reduced in PostgreSQL 12, which
> provides several benefits to the overall disk utilization of a PostgreSQL
> cluster as well as using features such as continuous archiving and streaming
> replication.

The "using" reads odd to me. I think it would be better either omitted,
or expanded to "when using".

> ### Partitioning
>
> PostgreSQL 12 improves on the performance when processing tables with thousands
> of partitions for operations that only need to use a small number of partitions.
>
> PostgreSQL 12 also provides improvements to the performance of both `INSERT` and
> `COPY` into a partitioned table. `ATTACH PARTITION` can now also be performed
> without blocking concurrent queries on the partitioned table. Additionally, the
> ability to use foreign keys to reference partitioned tables is now allowed in
> PostgreSQL 12.

"the ability to use ... is now allowed" doesn't look right. How about
"the ability to use ... is now provided" or "using ... is now allowed"?

> ### Collations
>
> PostgreSQL 12 now supports case-insensitive and accent-insensitive collations
> for ICU provided collations,

"collations for ... collations" doesn't look right. I think either
"comparison for ... collations" or "collation ... for collations" would
be better, but I'm not sure which.

> ### Generated Columns
>
> PostgreSQL 12 lets you create [generated columns](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/ddl-generated-columns.html)
> that compute their values based on the contents of other columns. This feature
> provides stored generated columns, which are computed on inserts and updated and
> are saved on disk.

Should be "on inserts and updates".

> ### Pluggable Table Storage Interface
>
> PostgreSQL 12 introduces the pluggable table storage interface that allows for
> the creation and use of different storage mechanisms for table storage. New
> access methods can be added to a PostgreSQL cluster using the [`CREATE ACCESS METHOD`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/sql-create-access-method.html)
> and subsequently added to tables with the new `USING` clause on `CREATE TABLE`.

Should be either "the CREATE ACCESS METHOD command" or just "CREATE
ACCESS METHOD".

> ### Page Checksums
>
> The `pg_verify_checkums` command has been renamed to [`pg_checksums`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/app-pgchecksums.html)
> and now supports the ability to enable and disable page checksums across an
> PostgreSQL cluster that is offline.

Should be "a PostgreSQL cluster", not "an".

- ilmari
--
"A disappointingly low fraction of the human race is,
at any given time, on fire." - Stig Sandbeck Mathisen