LIKE and SIMILAR TO

From: "c k" <shreeseva(dot)learning(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: LIKE and SIMILAR TO
Date: 2008-08-22 11:13:47
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Hello all,
As we are migrating our ERP application from MySQL to PostgreSQL we have
some difficulties. One of them is use of Like and Similar to operators. We
often use LIKE to search a string from front-end without case sensetivity.
As postgreSQL's LIKE is case sensitive, we tried ILIKE and SIMILAR TO, but
both are slower than LIKE and we must need case insensitivity. How can we
get this by increases speed. All search columns are VARCHAR(100)to
VARCHAR(250). Currently without index.

Thanks,
CPK