Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, samay sharma <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13
Date: 2022-09-19 09:25:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 19.09.22 02:29, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On September 18, 2022 5:24:06 PM PDT, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>> On 15.09.22 04:26, Andres Freund wrote:
>>> Attached is v13 of the meson patchset. The biggest changes are:
>>
>> Did something about warning flags change from the previous patch set? I see it's building with -Wextra now, which combined with -Werror causes the build to fail for me. I have never encountered that with any of the previous patch sets.
>
> In older versions of the patch the default warning level was set to include Wextra, and I had added my local flags to suppress uninteresting warnings. Comparing the warning flags I reduced the warning level and removed the suppressing flags - but changing default options only affects new build trees. To change existing ones do meson configure -Dwarning_level=1

Ok that was the reason. It works now.

IMO, the following commits are ready to be pushed now:

b7d7fe009731 Remove DLLTOOL, DLLWRAP from configure / Makefile.global.in
979f26889544 Don't hardcode tmp_check/ as test directory for tap tests
9fc657fbb7e2 Split TESTDIR into TESTLOGDIR and TESTDATADIR
6de8f1de0ffa meson: prereq: Extend gendef.pl in preparation for meson
7054861f0fef meson: prereq: Add src/tools/gen_export.pl
1aa586f2921c meson: prereq: Refactor PG_TEST_EXTRA logic in autoconf build
5a9731dcc2e6 meson: prereq: port: Include c.h instead of postgres.h in *p{read,write}*.c
1939bdcfbfea meson: Add meson based buildsystem