Re: server closed connection on a select query

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(dot)lelarge(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: server closed connection on a select query
Date: 2005-11-23 07:37:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2005/11/23, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>:

> >I **REALLY** wish you would STOP saying that, Bruce. The current OpenServer
> >Compiler (UDK), is the same as on UnixWare, and is **MUCH** better than the
> >Old SVR3 compiler.
> >
> >We **REALLY** **SHOULD** look at it.
> >

> Well actually no, we shouldn't. Regardless of the technical good or
> bad.. We are talking about SCO here.
> The socio-political ramifications of supporting such as beast alone
> should be enough for every
> PostgreSQL and OSS user to run screaming from the building.

I kind of agree with you on this, Josh. Unfortunately, a long time
ago, in my work, a choice has been made to use SCO with our customers
(more than 1000). And I'm not the one who can choose to move to
another OS. I would better use linux, my life would be simpler in many
ways but I have to deal with this choice.

> Regardless if what Bruce says is FUD or not the reality is, I seriously
> doubt anyone here wants to
> support or take bug reports for a product that is supported by a company
> that is the complete
> antithesis of everything good about FOSS.

I understand what your positions are and I respect them. But I think
we should be very careful with what we say because FUD is not a good
thing, even for us.

If I posted my message here, it was only to know if someone already
had this experience and found a way to fix it. It didn't want you to
put extra code to fix a buggy compiler.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.