Re: [HACKERS] %2$, %1$ gettext placeholder replacement is not working under Win32

From: Nicolai Tufar <ntufar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org, Ismail Teppeev <iteppeev(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] %2$, %1$ gettext placeholder replacement is not working under Win32
Date: 2005-01-23 00:08:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:05:22 -0500, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> > src/port/snprintf.c is not not a particularly pretty. And
> > after my rework it got even uglier. I have looked at
> > FreeBDS's one and it is not *that* complicated.
>
> If you can get it to work then it'd be a better bet than writing (and
> having to maintain) our own.

Very well, I am starting to work on it.
I will put everything necessary in on file.
So far it is 1500-odd lines and will probably
grow a little bit. Plus we would probably need to
include Double-to-ASCII package too:
http://cvsup.pt.freebsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/cvsweb.cgi/src/contrib/gdtoa/
A daunting task indeed. I will do it but I am afraid
it would not be too portable.

I was wandering if reimplementing print formatting
is the right thing to do. The problem I have is
in fmtnum() and probably in fmtfloat() functions
which are very platform-dependent.

The code to shuffle xxprinf() arguments based on
%n$ formatting stirngs is ready why don't shuffle
formatting placeholders too and call OS's vsnprintf()
with modified formatting formatting strings and
va_list?

Or, a similar solution, for every parameter
extract formatting placeholder and value,
call snprintf() and the combine the resulting string?

The first solution requires doing nasty manipulations
with va_list, the second will be slower because of
multiple calls to snprintf().

Which one is better?

Best regards,
Nicolai Tufar