Re: On what we want to support: travel?

From: "Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: On what we want to support: travel?
Date: 2006-11-01 19:39:38
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On 11/1/06, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
> > ISTM expanding the user base is one of the best things we can do for
> > our existing users.
>
> Why?

- Enhancing the user base presumably should make it easier to find
additional staff with PostgreSQL skills. That's not of infinite
value, but it's not of non-zero value.

- Wider spread usage should allow us to more readily find more third
party apps running atop PostgreSQL. (There is, of course, a certain
risk that if PostgreSQL got "too hot," you'd see a lot more Really
Cruddy apps running atop it... That's part of the burden that Certain
Other Databases deal with...)
"If Ada became the hot, in-language you would see a lot more bad code
in Ada."
-- Thaddeus L. Olczyk <olczyk(at)interaccess(dot)com>, comp.lang.C++