Re: Cache lookup failed for relation, when trying to DROP

From: Mark Gibson <gibsonm(at)cromwell(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cache lookup failed for relation, when trying to DROP
Date: 2004-10-06 16:25:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Mark Gibson <gibsonm(at)cromwell(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
>
>>Right then, I think I've got this sorted,
>>DROP TABLE worked after a swift:
>>DELETE FROM pg_depend WHERE objid = 5173132;
>

> There's something awfully flaky going on here. The system should never
> have let you get into this state in the first place: the entire point of
> pg_depend is that you can't delete the referenced object without
> deleting the referencing object. Had you been doing anything odd before
> this (like perhaps manually deleting catalog rows)? You mentioned
> having dropped the troublesome rule; did you do that by-the-book with
> DROP RULE, or did you just DELETE FROM pg_rewrite?

I haven't modified anything manually in pg_catalog.
The rule was dropped with DROP RULE.
Although I have been testing out Slony-I, I'm not sure if that has
delved into pg_catalog, I'll have to check with the Slony folks.
I had to remove Slony's schema manually as I was having problems
with it. I was in the process of removing all Slony related stuff,
and all my slave tables when this problem occurred, and was going to
start again from scratch.

--
Mark Gibson <gibsonm |AT| cromwell |DOT| co |DOT| uk>
Web Developer & Database Admin