Re: Online Documentation Search Issue

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Karoline Pauls <contact(at)karolinepauls(dot)com>, mike(at)vasto(dot)la, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Online Documentation Search Issue
Date: 2021-05-18 06:56:36
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Mon, 2021-05-17 at 16:14 +0000, Karoline Pauls wrote:

> On 17 May 2021, 16:43, PG Doc comments form < noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> > Just an FYI, but I'm running into a somewhat annoying issue with the
> > documentation search that I'm not sure you're aware of.
> > Namely, searching for "BETWEEN" (upper or lowercase) yields zero results.
> >
> > Trying a few different search queries right now, it appears I might be just
> > running into an issue where my query is a stopword, but in this case it's
> > particularly frustrating because (even once I realize that) there is no
> > obvious alternative search query. (I wouldn't have thought to search for
> > "Comparison Functions", the page where it's actually explained.)
> >
> > Is there any way your search platform can be set to index all text that
> > appears in the documentation inside 'code' tags? Or could some sort of
> > suggestion bar be added to the results page so that if a query contains a
> > keyword (especially if it consists entirely of the keyword), a link is
> > presented to go to it's page?
> >
> > Barring that, could searching a stopword trigger a message (and perhaps a
> > link to search it on Google) other than just "no results found"?
>
> HAVING is another stop-word.

I find 518 lines with "between" in the documentation, so I am not sure if
removing that stopword would be beneficial.

But there is an index for the documentation:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/bookindex.html#indexdiv-B
"BETWEEN" is in the index.

So is "HAVING". Removing "HAVING" as a stopword would mean indexing
"have", and that is obviously not going to help anybody.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe