connecting to linux server from windows xp

From: Sebastian Scarano <opensas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: connecting to linux server from windows xp
Date: 2005-11-13 04:57:13
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello everybody

I'm giving my first steps with postgresql.

I installed it on a gentoo box and it's working fine. I can connect to it
via pgadmin3 with server: localhost (or tux, as it's configured in my
/etc/conf.d/hostname) and port 5432

I also installed vmware to run an xp SP1 box inside it.

I have conectivity between the gentoo host and the xp guest. I can ping each
other. (but I can't ping by the machine name, just by the ip)

But I don't know how to connect from the xp guest to the postgresql server
running on the gentoo host.

Putting "tux" in the server name, didn't work.

I tried with every ip address on the host (I have a couple, one is the
vmnet8 interfase used for NAT net board emulation and the other is vmnet1
used for the host only network connection)

Any ideas???

Saludos

Sas