Re: RFC: Logging plan of the running query

From: torikoshia <torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: Logging plan of the running query
Date: 2021-05-13 08:26:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-05-13 01:08, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> On Wed, 2021-05-12 at 18:03 +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
>> Since it also shows up the full query text and the plan
>> in the server log as plain text, there are chances that the sensitive
>> information might be logged into the server log which is a risky thing
>> from security standpoint.

Thanks for the notification!

> I think that is irrelevant.
>
> A superuser can already set "log_statement = 'all'" to get this.
> There is no protection from superusers, and it is pointless to require
> that.

AFAIU, since that discussion is whether or not users other than
superusers
should be given the privilege to execute the backtrace printing
function,
I think it might be applicable to pg_log_current_plan().

Since restricting privilege to superusers is stricter, I'm going to
proceed
as it is for now, but depending on the above discussion, it may be
better to
change it.

Regards,

--