Re: Is PostgreSQL an easy choice for a large CMS?

From: "Tomi NA" <hefest(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is PostgreSQL an easy choice for a large CMS?
Date: 2006-04-30 15:57:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On 4/30/06, Tony Lausin <tonylausin(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm working on a CMS which requires an open source database capable of
> handling hundreds of thousands of users simultaneously, with a high
> rate of database writes, and without buckling. We're talking somewhere
> between nerve.com/catch27.com and xanga.com/friendster.com

In my opinion, postgresql is not the way to go when building a cMS
simply because of the way it handles strings.
A CMS should be language/region agnostic i.e. supporting any chosen
locale subset, rather then just one locale, as postgresql does. You
can throw UTF-8 at the problem and it will enable data
storage/retrieval, but you'll still be stuck with incorrect text
ordering/sorting in any locale but the default.
Truth be told, I don't know of a single RDBMS which handles this issue
gracefully, but with postgresql, your basically stuck with a single
language/locale.
On the other hand, if you don't need multilang support, you'll find
that postgresql is generally great to program and use.

Tomislav