Re: PostgreSQL's XML support comparison against other RDBMSes

From: "Tomi NA" <hefest(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL's XML support comparison against other RDBMSes
Date: 2006-03-29 14:06:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On 3/29/06, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 02:57:44PM +0400, Ivan Zolotukhin wrote:
> > So let's make such analysis here within PostgreSQL community! There
> > were a lot of talks about XML support in Postgres, but they did not
> > lead to any steady work in this direction. IMHO, it's time to start it
> > now, no?
>
> Quite, lets start with why the module in contrib is not good enough and
> what the various existing XML projects lack.
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/contrib/xml2/
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/getxml/
> http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/xpsql/projdisplay.php

The getxml and xpsql project seem to fit phantasticaly into my idea of
handling XML inside a database.
Say you wan't to store an OpenOffice.org document into a database, but
rather than say "it's a binary" and lose all editing and most search
capabilities, it might be possible to use xpsql to store the document into
the database. Once stored, specific parts could be altered as the system
changes states and during the systems lifecycle, you could at any time
generate a document based on the current system state.
Can anyone give me any kind of opinion on this kind of document handling?
Does anyone here have any experiance with xpsql?
Is xpsql under any kind of active development?
Can xpsql handle documents as complex as OOo documents, with all their DTDs,
schemas...whatever?

t.n.a.