Re: [PERFORM] Regarding facing lot of time Consumed by Socket.Poll()

From: keshav upadhyaya <ukeshav2009(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Regarding facing lot of time Consumed by Socket.Poll()
Date: 2009-10-16 06:24:44
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-performance

Hi heikki,

First of all a big thanks for your reply .

From server side query are not taking much time I have checked that .

But from the client side when i am executing Nhibernate.doload() ,
doloadbyclass() functions
it is taking much of the CPU time .
This i have analyzed by YOURKIT profiler for .Net applications .
Most of the CPU time is taken by Nhibernate.doload() , doloadbyclass()
functions and i believe internally they are
calling System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Poll(Int32, SelectMode) function .

So my big worry is why Nhibernate.DoLoad() , DoLoadByClass is taking much of
the time ?
Is there any Nhibernate related config file got changed ? or what are the
most probale places for this problem so that i can look for them. *

*
Apart from this i want to ask one more question .

In one machine it calls NPGSQLconnectorpool.*GetNonpooledConnector()*
and in other machien it callse NPGSQLconnectorpool.*GepooledConnector()

Does calling pool and nonpool version of methods make a big difference ?

Thanks ,
Keshav
**
**
*

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 2:20 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <
heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> keshav upadhyaya wrote:
> > 2- Internally it calls thse function i am listing the last stack
> >
> > NpgsqlConnector.Open()
> > Npgsql.NpgsqlConnectedState.Startup(NpgsqlConnector)
> > Npgsql.NpgsqlState.ProcessBackendResponses(NpgsqlConnector)
> > *[Wall Time] System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Poll(Int32, SelectMode)*
> >
> > Finally in last the socket.poll takes most of the time .
> >

> > I want to know the probably causes of the socket.poll() consumes allot of
> > time .
>
> I don't know much about Npgsql driver, but I'd guess that it's spending
> a lot of time on Socket.Poll, because it's waiting for a response from
> the server, sleeping. If you're investigating this because you feel that
> queries are running too slowly, you should look at what the queries are
> and investigate why they're slow in the server, e.g with EXPLAIN
> ANALYZE. If you're investigating this because you're seeing high CPU
> load in the client, try finding an option in the profiler to measure CPU
> time, not Wall time.
>
> --
> Heikki Linnakangas

Thanks,