How to recognize trigger-inserted rows?

From: jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com (Jeff Boes)
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to recognize trigger-inserted rows?
Date: 2004-10-26 17:00:01
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have a table with an INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE statement trigger. The
trigger's action is to insert "jobs" into a queue noting that the
table has changed.

A number of other tables have FK relationships with this table, and
they have their own statement triggers that fire on DELETE.

When I delete a number of rows from the first table, the cascading
deletes into the other tables generate a rather large number of
trigger-fires, so I end up with way too many rows in the queue-table.

What I would like to do is, within the transaction doing the top-level
delete, examine the queue-table for duplicate rows and remove those,
since they are extraneous.

Ideally I would look for rows that have the same transaction ID, but
I'm having trouble determining what the current ID is. I'm using Pg
7.4.