refcurosr vs. setof

From: "Rdiger Herrmann" <ruediger(dot)herrmann(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: refcurosr vs. setof
Date: 2005-04-17 20:05:29
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello,

I need to write several PL/pgSQL functions all returning a "result set" wich
can be obtained by a single SELECT statement.
For now the functions are called by a Java application.
Both REFCURSOR and SETOF serve my purpose, but I was wondering if there is a
perfonance difference between the two. The result set can become quite
large.

I hope not to ask this question the 1001 time, though I couldn't find
anything on the net.. Any hints are welcome.

Regards
Rdiger