Feature Request: Allow additional special characters at the beginning of the name.

From: Mark Simon <mark(at)manngo(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Feature Request: Allow additional special characters at the beginning of the name.
Date: 2021-10-13 01:57:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I am very new to this list, so I don’t know whether this is the right place.

Microsoft SQL and MySQL both use the @ sign at the beginning of their
variables. The most obvious benefit of this is that it is very easy to
distinguish between variable names and column names.

I’m not asking for a change in how PostgreSQL manages variables, but
whether it’s possible to allow the @ sign, and possibly the $ sign to
start a variable name. I am aware that the _ can start a variable name,
but the other characters are a little more eye-catching.

Does that make sense?

--

Mark Simon

Manngo Net Pty Ltd

mobile:0411 246 672

email:mark(at)manngo(dot)net <mailto:mark(at)comparity(dot)net>
web:http://www.manngo.net

Resume:http://mark.manngo.net