Assertion failure due to ColumnRefStar

From: NikhilS <nikkhils(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Assertion failure due to ColumnRefStar
Date: 2007-09-27 14:12:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

One of our qmg folks reported an assertion failure:

create table x(y char(1));
insert into x values ("*");

The above causes the following assertion to be hit:

/*
* Target item is a bare '*', expand all tables
*
* (e.g., SELECT * FROM emp, dept)
*
* Since the grammar only accepts bare '*' at top level of SELECT,
we
* need not handle the targetlist==false case here.
*/
Assert(targetlist);

in ExpandColumnRefStar() function.

I was wondering if we should fix this by checking for
list_length(cref->fields) being greater than 1 before calling this in
transformExpressionList?

Regards,
Nikhils