Re: R: Re: R: Re: Weird EXECUTE ... USING behaviour

From: Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Vincenzo Romano <vincenzo(dot)romano(at)notorand(dot)it>
Cc: "adrian(dot)klaver" <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: R: Re: R: Re: Weird EXECUTE ... USING behaviour
Date: 2010-01-14 06:29:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Vincenzo Romano <
vincenzo(dot)romano(at)notorand(dot)it> wrote:

> 2010/1/14 Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> > On Wednesday 13 January 2010 2:17:51 pm Scott Mead wrote:

> >> Page 800:
> >>
> >> "Another restriction on parameter symbols is that they only work in
> SELECT,
> >> INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE commands. In other statement types
> (generically
> >> called utility statements), you must insert values textually even if
> they
> >> are just data values."
> >
> > Scott, thanks for that I must have read through that section several
> times at
> > least with out picking up on it.
> >
> > --
> > Adrian Klaver
> > adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com
> >

> Really?
>
> That section is not in any page of the v8.4.2 documentation either PDF or
> HTML.
> The sentence has been introduced (yesterday?) in 8.5devel, which is
> far from being "current".
>
> I only hope they won't change the manual to match the feature/bug
> (warning: new joke)
>
> So that was not a joke at all! :-(

Well it is in 8.5 Devel, so it could have been added immediately after
your thread started yesterday, I'm honestly not sure.

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/plpgsql-statements.html

Sorry for not posting that. Either way, I if you really want a feature like
this added, it's usually better to take people's word and then make the case
for adding the feature. If you declare it a bug and get belligerent, it
makes it harder to get features you'd like added. I would say that coming
into this asking for a new feature would maybe have helped gain more ground.

Good luck

--Scott

PS -- I did see this in the 8.3 Docs after writing this note:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plpgsql-implementation.html

and I do see it here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/plpgsql-implementation.html