Re: Building from source vs RPMs

From: Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Building from source vs RPMs
Date: 2009-07-29 12:51:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 3:27 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 July 2009 02:53:19 Christophe Pettus wrote:
> > I'm moving from a long time in BSD-land to using Linux. I've always
> > been in the habit of building PostgreSQL from the source tarballs. On
> > Linux, is there an advantage either way to using the RPMs as opposed
> > to building from source? Thanks!

Just to offer another opinion, source compiles are much easier to control,
you're not subject to the author's feelings on certain options. Also, RPMs
usually over-write a version of PG when you upgrade, so you can't run
multiple versions side-by-side, and upgrading becomes tougher (unless you
have a second box that is).

Just my 2 cents.

--Scott