Re: Oracle to buy Sun

From: Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>
Cc: Melanie <melanie(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle to buy Sun
Date: 2009-04-20 14:29:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Gabriele Bartolini <
gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it> wrote:

> Scott Mead ha scritto:
>
>> I would tend to disagree that it will die. The recent new release of
>> innodb (
>> http://www.innodb.com/wp/2009/03/11/innodb-plugin-version-103-for-mysql-5130-32-33-released/)
>> suggests that Oracle is not really interested in letting mysql die
>> completely.
>>
> Yep, I agree. I think however that they will somehow change MySQL plans and
> give lower priority (if not abandon) the enterprise class features and
> target. There is no advantage in creating self-competition, so they will
> inevitably diversify. After all, they can now choose between Oracle for an
> enterprise class audience, and MySQL for different target audiences.

If I were Larry (My yacht only comes in at a measly 4 feet and requires
oars :-) , I would make mysql strong enough to play hard in the Open Source
market and maybe even take-out some low-end sqlserver instances with a
'next->next->finish' process to Oracle enterprise.

Mysql's biggest problem is that small departmental apps tend to outgrow
it. If you could have those same open-source peeps developing their apps
against mysql and there is an auto-upgrade path to Oracle enterprise....
then Larry effectively owns the high-end "big IT" market and the low-end "I
wrote this b/c I was bored" market. Then again, Sun did do a pretty good
job of alienating all but a small handful of mysql AB coders, there may
already be enough damage there that mysql's coffin is already being lowered.

> On top of this, they will also have top class hardware they can count on.

I think that's the big picture here:

"Nobody ever got fired for buying Oracle"

We know that they've got a solid DB product
They've bought most of the enterprise apps market
They're hijacking RHEL installs with their own linux distro
They want to play in the hardware market (
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10050379-92.html) at the high end
Why not breath some life into a hardware company that is well known in
mid to large IT shops?

For customers, it's a 'single-stop-shop' if you're wallet is deep enough
:-) That's the biggest problem with all of this; You'll be able to buy a
single box pre-installed with peoplesoft, but you would end up paying
through the nose for it.

--Scott