Re: PROXY protocol support

From: Jacob Champion <pchampion(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: "magnus(at)hagander(dot)net" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PROXY protocol support
Date: 2021-03-04 23:21:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2021-03-04 at 21:45 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 9:07 PM Jacob Champion <pchampion(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
> > Idle thought I had while setting up a local test rig: Are there any
> > compelling cases for allowing PROXY packets to arrive over Unix
> > sockets? (By which I mean, the proxy is running on the same machine as
> > Postgres, and connects to it using the .s.PGSQL socket file instead of
> > TCP.) Are there cases where you want some other software to interact
> > with the TCP stack instead of Postgres, but it'd still be nice to have
> > the original connection information available?
>
> I'm uncertain what that usecase would be for something like haproxy,
> tbh. It can't do connection pooling, so adding it on the same machine
> as postgres itself wouldn't really add anything, I think?

Yeah, I wasn't thinking HAproxy so much as some unspecified software
appliance that's performing Some Task before allowing a TCP client to
speak to Postgres. But it'd be better to hear from someone that has an
actual use case, instead of me spitballing.

> Iid think about the other end, if you had a proxy on a different
> machine accepting unix connections and passing them on over
> PROXY-over-tcp. But I doubt it's useful to know it was unix in that
> case (since it still couldn't do peer or such for the auth) --
> instead, that seems like an argument where it'd be better to proxy
> without using PROXY and just letting the IP address be.

You could potentially design a system that lets you proxy a "local all
all trust" setup from a different (trusted) machine, without having to
actually let people onto the machine that's running Postgres. That
would require some additional authentication on the PROXY connection
(i.e. something stronger than host-based auth) to actually be useful.

-- other notes --

A small nitpick on the current separate-port PoC is that I'm forced to
set up a "regular" TCP port, even if I only want the PROXY behavior.

The original-host logging isn't working for me:

WARNING: pg_getnameinfo_all() failed: ai_family not supported
LOG: proxy connection from: host=??? port=???

and I think the culprit is this:

> /* Store a copy of the original address, for logging */
> memcpy(&raddr_save, &port->raddr, port->raddr.salen);

port->raddr.salen is the length of port->raddr.addr; we want the length
of the copy to be sizeof(port->raddr) here, no?

--Jacob