Re: doc fixes: vacuum_cleanup_index_scale_factor

From: Liudmila Mantrova <l(dot)mantrova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: doc fixes: vacuum_cleanup_index_scale_factor
Date: 2018-05-10 07:57:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05/08/2018 02:05 PM, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> 3rd iteration ; thanks for bearing with me.
>
> On Tue, May 08, 2018 at 12:35:00PM +0300, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
>> Hi, Justin!
>>
>> Thank you for revising documentation patch.
>>
>> On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 7:55 PM, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> wrote:
>
> + In order to detect stale index statistics, the number of total heap
> + tuples during previous statistics collection is stored in the index
> + meta-page.
>
> Consider removing: "during previous statistics collection"
> Or: "during THE previous statistics collection"
>
> + Once the number of inserted tuples since previous
>
> since THE previous
>
> + statistics collection is more than
> + <varname>vacuum_cleanup_index_scale_factor</varname> fraction of
>
> Since the multiplier can be greater than 1, should we say "multiple" instead of
> fraction?
>
> + during <command>VACUUM</command> cycle. Thus, skipping of the B-tree
> + index scan during cleanup stage is only possible when second and
> + subsequent <command>VACUUM</command> cycles detecting no dead tuples.
>
> Change "detecting" to "detect". Or maybe just "find"
>
> Justin

Hi Justin,

Thank you for helping with the docs. Attached is another doc patch that
should address most of the issues you've brought up.
I've also reshuffled the text a bit to make it more like an option
description. Hope you'll find it useful.

--
Liudmila Mantrova
Technical writer at Postgres Professional: http://www.postgrespro.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
0004-btree-cleanup-docs-comments-fixes-3.patch text/x-patch 5.2 KB