Re: Safety/validity of resetting permissions by updating system tables

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Safety/validity of resetting permissions by updating system tables
Date: 2021-01-04 15:12:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/1/21 11:44 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> Is it safe and valid to reset to default permissions by doing
>> UPDATE pg_namespace/pg_class/pg_type/pg_proc
>> SET nspacl/relacl/typacl/proacl = NULL WHERE ... to accomplish this?
> Not terribly; the main objection is you'd fail to update pg_shdepend.

And apart from that I'm generally resistant to anything that requires
direct manipulation of the catalog. One of many reasons is that there is
no guarantee that it will have the same shape in the next release. I
normally encourage people strongly to look for other solutions.

cheers

andrew

--

Andrew Dunstan