Re: PostgreSQL passes MySQL for Freshmeat Downloads

From: "Jonathan Fuerth" <fuerth(at)sqlpower(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)myyearbook(dot)com>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL passes MySQL for Freshmeat Downloads
Date: 2008-06-13 21:16:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> Oh, that shows the problem more clearly. The items are:
>
> Day After Announce
>
> * Update Sourceforge
> * Update Freshmeat
> * Update #postgresql topic

[...]
> Who can take ownership of that list and has access to all those sites?
> If not, it is again not going to be done regularly.

I would be happy to write, host, and maintain a facility for verifying
that the freshmeat entry reflects the newest release on the FTP and
Web sites, and emails the people responsible when it doesn't. Based on
my experience, I believe this will ensure regular, timely updates to
the freshmeat listing.

In addition, I'm happy to volunteer to take responsibility for
actually updating the entry in a timely manner. But I fully understand
if you don't want to entrust someone you've never heard of with that
responsibility. That's fair.

I'm getting mixed messages from this thread about whether this nag
script is desirable (Hi Alvaro and Joshua; thanks for welcoming me).
If you want it, I am eager to make the contribution. I can do it
tonight. If you don't want it, I'd prefer to know that before putting
in the effort. :)

-Jonathan