Re: PostgreSQL passes MySQL for Freshmeat Downloads

From: "Jonathan Fuerth" <fuerth(at)sqlpower(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL passes MySQL for Freshmeat Downloads
Date: 2008-06-13 15:17:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com> wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>
>> _Please_ by all means let's remove it. It is always out of date. If we
>> absolutely must keep a Freshmeat entry, then it should not list any
>> "current release" at all -- let's make it just point to our own web site
>> that's (almost) always up to date.
>>

> But then we would drop behind MySQL in terms of downloads, since noone would
> be able to download from freshmeat. ;-) It's quite the conundrum.. Perhaps
> we can let them download a downloader, which downloads from the PostgreSQL
> site (j/k)...

Although I agree it's better to present nothing at all than to present
something consistently incorrect and out-of-date, I think that entry
on freshmeat is too important to the project's public image to let it
go.

I think a solution as simple as a script that scrapes the PostgreSQL
download site for the newest version (currently 8.3.3) and ensures
it's mentioned in the freshmeat entry (currently, it's not) and then
nags the people with access to edit the entry would be sufficient to
solve this problem.

I have no clout in this community, so I won't ask for access to edit
the freshmeat entry. But I would be happy to write and maintain the
script!

-Jonathan