Re: What must be installed on client for ODBC connection

From: Andrew Gould <andrewlylegould(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bill Todd <pg(at)dbginc(dot)com>
Cc: PgSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What must be installed on client for ODBC connection
Date: 2009-04-22 03:53:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Bill Todd <pg(at)dbginc(dot)com> wrote:

> Do I have to install anything in addition to the ODBC driver on my PC in
> order to connect to a PostgreSQL server on another PC on my network?
>
> Bill

That depends on your goals.

You can use database products such as MS Access, Crystal Report Writer or
Paradox to access the PostgreSQL server via ODBC. I think Kexi, Rekall and
OpenOffice's Base can also do this. You will need to define data sources,
which are ODBC configurations to different databases on the server. These
applications will allow you to perform queries, write reports or create
database front-end applications.

I think most of the common scripting languages have mechanisms by which you
can access database servers via ODBC. This is one way that PHP web programs
manage data, for example.

What are you trying to do?

Sincerely,

Andrew