Re: Off Topic: ICD-10 codes in a database table?

From: Andrew Gould <andrewlylegould(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Off Topic: ICD-10 codes in a database table?
Date: 2009-02-26 17:36:59
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com> wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2009, at 7:12 AM, Andrew Gould wrote:
>
> Background: ICD-10 is a clinical coding system maintained by the World
>> Health Organization. The system is used in most "advanced" countries.
>> Hospitals in the USA must convert from ICD-9 to ICD-10 by 2013.
>>
>> Problem: I've been trying to find a table of ICD-10 codes to import into
>> a database; but the only listings that I can find are in publicly available
>> pdf files. I've tried to copy the text to text files, but the resulting
>> layout is horrible -- it would take, literally, weeks or months of manual
>> tweaking to parse.
>>
>> Does anyone have or know of an existing table of ICD-10 codes that is
>> already "import friendly"?
>>

> 10 seconds with google finds something in CSV format in a zip file
> downloadable from the bottom of
> http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/toolssoftware/icd_10/ccs_icd_10.jsp - is that
> any use to you?
>
> Cheers,
> Steve
>
> Hmm.....AHRQ never came up in my googling.

The table is almost what I need; but also has additional, useful
information. In essence, AHRQ had a table that maps ICD-9 codes to their
CCS categories. They have added a table that maps ICD-10 codes to those
same categories. The mapping is *very* useful. The only thing missing are
the ICD-10 code descriptions.

Thanks for the help!

Andrew