Re: Allow some recovery parameters to be changed with reload

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, "a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru" <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: "robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz" <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "andres(at)anarazel(dot)de" <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com" <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow some recovery parameters to be changed with reload
Date: 2020-11-26 13:43:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020/11/12 4:38, Sergei Kornilov wrote:
> Hello
>
>> Anyway, for now I think that your first patch would be enough, i.e.,
>> just change the context of restore_command to PGC_SIGHUP.
>
> Glad to hear. Attached a rebased version of the original proposal.

Thanks for rebasing the patch!

This parameter is required for archive recovery,

I found the above description in config.sgml. I was just wondering
if it should be updated so that the actual specification is described or not.
The actual spec is that restore_command is required to start archive
recovery, but optional (i.e., the parameter can be reset to an empty)
after archive recovery has started. But this updated version of
description would be rather confusing to users. So I'm now thinking
not to update that.

Does anyone object to the patch? If no, I'm thinking to commit the patch.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center