Re: documentation on HOT

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: documentation on HOT
Date: 2022-07-22 15:09:49
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 7/22/22 8:51 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 10:02:18PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 09:29:56PM -0500, Jonathan Katz wrote:
>>> I agree with Bruce's point that we should have a new section (or
>>> subsection). As I mentioned in my previous post, given HOT involves
>>> indexing, I would suggest putting it there.
>>>
>>> I think that something that follows the general outline of Laurenz's post
>>> would satisfy the user requirements. It explains at a high level what HOT
>>> is, it's advantages, and how it works.
>>
>> Attached is a patch that adds a new HOT section to the storage chapter.
>
> I wasn't happy with the last paragraph so I added some more details.
> URL contents updated too:
>
> https://momjian.us/tmp/pgsql/storage-hot.html

Thanks! This is great. Probably the most concise and clear explanation I
have seen for HOT, which is exactly what we need for the docs :)

A few suggestions:

s/Fortunately, there is/To help reduce overhead, PostgreSQL has/

s/In summary, h/H/

> You can increase the change of HOT updates by using non-default table
fillfactor settings.

I think we should expand on this and explain how adjusting "fillfactor"
will affect this. I think that may change the final sentence too.

Thanks,

Jonathan